First visit? Checkout the "welcome" post

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Onename and blockstack id
Hi Folks,
I'm setting up my store and openbazaar app is great . easy to do everything but it gets unclear when I get to the name part. I am trying to set up my name now. I dont get how the onename thing works - is it centralized or what? 
TIA
yambub
(02-11-2017, 02:03 PM)yambub Wrote: Hi Folks,
I'm setting up my store and openbazaar app is great . easy to do everything but it gets unclear when I get to the name part. I am trying to set up my name now. I dont get how the onename thing works - is it centralized or what? 
TIA
yambub

Think of one name as an online license, or a proof that this is who you say you are by linking all your accounts to it. The information is stored locally, but when you submit changes it propagates to the network it shoots it across all the nodes. Once you log in click on the top right Settings -> App Accounts -> Edit App Accounts -> Name put in open bazaar Identifier just copy/paste your store GUID there and submit.

(I could be wrong but this is my general understanding of it)
Names use the Blockstack protocol which uses the Bitcoin blockchain to manage names in a secure way. However, to prevent users from having to have the entire blockchain locally to scan the app uses a resolver application hosted by the Blockstack team (which is onename.com).

You could always run your own Blockstack resolver locally to make it trustless, but we're looking into ways to make it more tenable for end users.
Thank you both for clarifications. I had a look at blockstack and it's extremely cool. Theres so much happening and this is just the  beginning. I found Muneeb Ali's videos. Love this he said about goolge, A company should not have that much power that they are making the decision whether to be evil or not. 

-good point, I'll never hear their don't be evil thing the same way again.