First visit? Checkout the "welcome" post

Poll: Will you still be running a VPS node once IPFS rolls out.
This poll is closed.
Yes
85.71%
6 85.71%
No
14.29%
1 14.29%
Total 7 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Incentive for running nodes?
I was wondering if there will be any system put into place that will incentivize those running VPS nodes once IPFS comes out.

If you are unfamiliar IPFS will allow people to close the application and their store will still be hosted for 30 days on the network before going offline. As long as the user re-connects within the month, they get re-synced with their store can make changes and continue listing/selling etc.

My worry is that when this happens, everyone will quit hosting VPS as it is not needed, and try to leech off the network. This will be bad as the more nodes the better the network (or I could be wrong in understanding this) . Not that it is very expensive to run a node, for $5 a month I plan on continuing to help the network but my fear is a lot of people become "Leechers" and stop being "Seeders".

Even having a check box or a mark on the store showing that the owner is running a Node - Sort of like a verified Store/Account - giving not a monetary value, but a reputation value attached to running a node and helping the network. The last thing I would want is to start charging fees or skimming sales of people, because I feel the 0% cut/fee is going to be OB's biggest selling point.

If I am misunderstanding this please enlighten me, otherwise I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.
If I sell the things you can afford to run a node, so it depends on how many sales I get
> If you are unfamiliar IPFS will allow people to close the application and their store will still be hosted for 30 days on the network before going offline. As long as the user re-connects within the month, they get re-synced with their store can make changes and continue listing/selling etc.

Well. If any of the content is downloaded by other people there is no limit to how long that content will remain available on the network. In theory as long as one seeder is online then the content will be available.

What does drop out of the DHT is the mapping between your OpenBazaar ID and the hash of the content. Meaning, while the content may still be available, the link to that content via your ID will not be.

Currently, the data in the DHT drops out after 7 days. So you need to open the app once every 7 days to keep it alive.
7 days is sufficient because anyone away longer is not serious in the shop. The leech will get a bad reputation due to give bad service in the end will work just fine, I think. All is good.
(02-16-2017, 02:01 AM)cpacia Wrote: > If you are unfamiliar IPFS will allow people to close the application and their store will still be hosted for 30 days on the network before going offline. As long as the user re-connects within the month, they get re-synced with their store can make changes and continue listing/selling etc.

Well. If any of the content is downloaded by other people there is no limit to how long that content will remain available on the network. In theory as long as one seeder is online then the content will be available.

What does drop out of the DHT is the mapping between your OpenBazaar ID and the hash of the content. Meaning, while the content may still be available, the link to that content via your ID will not be.

Currently, the data in the DHT drops out after 7 days. So you need to open the app once every 7 days to keep it alive.

7 days seems MUCH more reasonable. When I first heard 30 days I was like, dang that is a long time to be gone and was worried about leeches to much. Also being able to be found by the ID will be big in search and is incentive enough for running a VPS. Thank you for the clarification and update on this matter!