First visit? Checkout the "welcome" post

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Have to re-start VPS node daily?
I have been having this issue from the start, and I'm not sure if it's a common problem, or if it's an issue with me going cheap.

I got the cheapest node droplet from Digital Ocean. I find that if I leave it up and running for a period of > 24 hours it tends to time out and I cannot connect to it and it gets de-listed from Duosear.ch etc.

Simple solution I've been doing is every morning, I terminal in using Putty and do the server stop/restart commands.

My fear is if I have to go on vacation or leave for an extended period of time I wouldn't want my store going offline.

Is it an issue with a cache file I can erase? Is this a common issue that other people have had?

Is it possible to write a script that does the server stop/start command every 24 hours? I mean I'm sure there IS a way to write a batch script or something, but I'm a newb at programming and wouldn't know where to start.

Thanks for any hints, or even a link to how to write a batch script would be great! Thanks!
Hi, Mine goes down every 3 days like clockwork. I did look around for solutions but the ones I found were so convoluted I gave up, thinking that instabilities will go away as the software goes through updates. I use uptimerobot.com, set to monitor port 18469 (ping will only tell me if the VPS is up, not OB) and it sends me an email whenever OB goes down. You can have up to 50 monitors for free.

But your post made me look again... I found this: https://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/howto-mon...rvice.html - the example is apache but we could adapt it to monitor open bazaar I think. It's called monit,  It will automatically restart services. Looks promising, I have to do stuff now but will see if I can do something with it later.

Incidentally, the DO droplets are plenty good enough for OB, I think these early versions are still a bit flaky. Looking forward to 2.0!
I have the same problem too, but it does not happens regularly...
I noticed that always happens when I weigh the client eg:
I put several items consecutively
I keep the client open for long times

no sooner said than done
client open for 20 min... and need to restart
(02-17-2017, 03:17 PM)crazy-frog Wrote: no sooner said than done

Hi , Same here, it seems to be ok for 2 or 3 days at most. I'll try that cyberciti link and see if I can sort something out,  report back if successful, but I'm a linuxnwebie so fingers crossed.

Meantime, if anyone with more experience can help with a how-to....
(02-17-2017, 03:17 PM)crazy-frog Wrote: I have the same problem too, but it does not happens regularly...
I noticed that always happens when I weigh the client eg:
I put several items consecutively
I keep the client open for long times

no sooner said than done

Yeah If I put some new listings up, I always get it done, shut down server, restart node, then start it all up again and it seems to work for a bit.
(02-21-2017, 04:52 AM)OpenSourcePhotos Wrote: Yeah If I put some new listings up, I always get it done, shut down server, restart node, then start it all up again and it seems to work for a bit.

Thanks to Tyler for telling me this: If you're using digital ocean you could try using deploy.ob1.io and import your data from your old server. Deploy should give you a working setup with some basic monitoring to try keeping the node running if it starts having issues.

Copy your data folder first. On Linux it's ~/.openbazaar by default. then replace it on the new installation. I can't do anything at the moment because I can't figure out how to copy it! Tried FTP and scp but get permission problems, even as root, amazing!

Moving an Existing OpenBazaar Store to OB1 Deploy
Very annoying feature of OB. It does hang every now and again.
Try obup - it polls Ob every 5 minutes and if the node is unreachable it restarts it. Works well and keeps your server running.
https://github.com/jondale/obup